Sunday, March 20, 2011

Wonders of the World..

Before I get too behind- allow me to fill you in, my faithful readers, on my recent adventures! :) On March 12th I went on a guided tour trip to Bath, Stone Henge, and Salisbury with my roommate Paula.  Up bright and early we headed to the bus station where we departed for the day at about 7:45 a.m. I'm glad to say that our tour guide was quite funny, and a joy to listen to.  It's always a toss up when it comes to guides, friends of ours had gone the weekend before and ended up getting a really monotone guide for their trip.  Anyway, we were off straight away to our first stop, Stone Henge!  I was really excited for this part of the trip simply because it's so famous and I've seen pictures of it and heard stories.  For those that don't know, Stone Henge is one of the biggest mysteries of the world for more than one reason.  Now don't quote me on anything I say here, because I don't claim to be a historian, but I'll inform you to the best of my knowledge (which isn't a whole  heck of a lot.)  First of all, Stone Henge was constructed before written language was even a twinkle in someone's little eye, so unlike early Egyptian  constructions like the pyramids where they had a form of written language to document they ways in which they built, the people that built Stone Henge (said to be around 3000 BC) had none so the mystery in HOW they constructed the boulders is a mystery to us.  Now that may not sound like a very big deal, but considering the lack of tools and the size of the boulders that were moved hundreds of miles (how in which we have no idea) is absolutely amazing to fathom today.


Among the confusion is how the people then stood the boulders up right, and stacked others across the top.  My tour guide informed us that the most common reasoning to the transportation and formation of the rocks was due to EITHER the flying devil bringing the rocks to this spot (which is in the middle of NOWHERE might I add) or, of course, it was aliens that did it. Modern science, though will never be completely accurate for lack of knowledge and proof, can justify the possibility that the people propped up the stones, piled earth and dirt up around the pillar like stones, then rolled the top stones up the earth in order to get them on top of the others.  This makes sense, but can never be proven.  Now the stones are in a VERY specific formation and this also adds to the puzzle of which we will never know.  Amazingly, the stones are lined up in perfect symmetry to match the solstices of winter and summer and also acts as a calendar.  And to do this required great, great knowledge of those that constructed it.  This is where my omniscience falters so if you're more interested in the subject I'd suggest looking it up, it is absolutely amazing. 


Unfortunately that (above picture) is about as close as you could get to the rocks.  Apparently it used to be free to go and you could walk right up to the stones.  But because of idiotic people, vandalism, and the governments love of money- you know have to pay and have to stay outside of a ring of rope.. or else.  We stayed at Stone Henge for about 45 minutes (which is fitting because all there really is to do is look at the rocks from different angles...) then we headed on to Salisbury.  

In Salisbury (not to be associated with steak) we saw the Salisbury Cathedral, a very beautiful building.  Right now I'd like to emphasize how many cathedrals, churches, and religious buildings I've been in since I've been here!!  They're all so beautiful that they're beginning to all run together in my mind.  At least I have pictures to tell them apart ;)


This is a cool picture because you get the jist of what the cathedral looked like, and you can see the way the tallest part leans (because it does in fact lean, and its not supposed to... uh oh).  Inside the building there is a "fountain of tranquility" which is really neat because water is pumped into it and as it overflows it gently goes over the sides and into drains on the ground.  While Paula and I were taking pictures with the fountain, a little girl skipped (seriously, skipped) right up to the fountain of TRANQUILITY and ran her stupid little hand right through it!!  We were shocked... but she skipped away and left us with a not so tranquil fountain :(


My roommate sort of cut off my reflectional head... but thus behind me the evidence of the very monster that tainted the waters of tranquility! Skipping in all her ruin!  Anyways, now that I've made my point and presented the evidence I'll move on.  But I'm still not happy about it.  The best part about this experience was seeing the best preserved copy of the Magna Carta (there were 12 copies) which is something equivalent of the American Constitution... kinda.  A little different, but an important document of such all the same.  No pictures were allowed to be taken of it, but being in the presence of a document created in 1215... amazing.

After we left the cathedral, we went to a pub for lunch then boarded our bus once again.  This time our destination was Bath.  Allow me to stray from my oh-so-professional recollection of events to say... this place was frickin awesome!!  I had no idea before I got there how much I would enjoy it.  Bath is famous for, of course, the Roman bath house built during the Roman Empire in England.  Bath houses were very popular in Roman culture and one was built in this area in England because of the hot springs the dwelt in the ground.  The Bath house was very impressively designed with pipes to direct the natural water into the baths.


The above picture is one of the biggest main bath of the whole bath house.  Yes, the water is green and yes it is very disgusting.  You're advised and asked not to touch it before you go in, but some people still do... gross.  This is a pretty big building and there were a lot more baths, but some of it was in ruins and other parts had been turned into gift shops and exhibits. 


The above picture is a different bath in the same bath house.  There's so much to say about this beautiful piece of history, but I only know so much.  I learned a lot while I was there, but sadly forgot most of it.... and that's how my relationship usually goes with history.  Oh!  I also drank the bath water! Sounds gross huh? After I told you that people aren't even supposed to touch it.  Don't worry... I'm not that fearless.  There's a special fountain of purified natural spring bath water that is available to drink.  So it's not super unsanitary... but it's actually still very disgusting to drink, especially because they serve it to you warm (or as is.)  It was a bit of a struggle but I finished every drop that they poured me!


And a photo of yours truly in all her beauty (not...) standing by the main bath! And there used to be a roof, if you can't tell there isn't one now, because it caved in at some point.  Like I said, a lot of the bath house is in ruins.  Unfortunately this is where my adventures of March 12, 2011 come to an end.  I had an absolutely amazing time on this tour and would suggest it to anyone touring England!  How many people can say they've seen Stone Henge, looked at the Magna Carta, and drank Bath water all in one day?! I can!  And I'll never forget it!  I'd also like to take this opportunity to mention the little drive-around tour we got on our way out of Bath.  As our tour guide specifically asked the driver to go to a certain area (of which was a circus, and here a circus basically means... a circle) and take a couple trips around it.  According to my tour guide, a few select people lived in the very area we were driving.  A guy you may have heard of... I think his name is Matt Damon or something.  And this other dude who's name I forgot... wait no, I think it's Nicholas Cage, yeah him.  Also... another bloke who goes by the name of Johnny Depp?  Yeah, those three men allegedly have homes in the very circus we drove round.  I might've had my doubts, but the price range of a place in that area is in the millions so I very much believe that someone of that nature may have a get-away home there in Bath.  It is after all, that beautiful.

Well, I hope that you are having a fabulous day/night, reader.  And I hope that by indulging in my adventures via my blog has made it even better.  Less than two months until your world traveler comes home!  Miss you all, muuuuucho love to you all!!

-KYRA:)

1 comment:

  1. Yes! You did not disappoint in this blog, Kyra. I love hearing about your adventures and seeing your pictures. Keep them coming!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete